This is a difficult topic and I appreciate that we are given a day to discuss it. I realize that the teaching of GLBT themed literature should, in theory, be no different from the way that we treat our entire curriculum of multicultural literature. I always hesitate to comment on any other aspects of such a charged issue, but I feel that I need to say a few things about my personal beliefs on the subject. Other than maybe religion, sexual orientation is much more of a hot button issue today than gender, race, class, or any of the other things that make up culture. We are living in a time and place where it is still acceptable to hate this entire group of people. I think I can safely say that our current culture would look down on people that would openly say racist or sexist things, but it is still ok in many facets of our society to openly be homophobic.
One of the most difficult things for me to reconcile is the fact that these other opinions must be given their voice and that these viewpoints are valid (to the people holding them) and must not be squelched in an all inclusive classroom discussion. I know that this must happen in order to hopefully open some minds and make any kind of progress in getting people to be more accepting of others. It is just hard to think that I could simply accept statements (that are homophobic or racist or sexist) in a discussion. The thing is that if racist or sexist comments are made, I feel there is more ground to stand on to refute those opinions and not be accused of an agenda. Unfortunately, with hateful speech regarding the GLBT community, we are expected to accept those opinions as valid opinions- opinions that I think are hateful and wrong in the same way, say a pamphlet about white power from the Ku Klux Klan is hateful and wrong. I know the argument behind it, I do understand that all opinions must be accepted and encouraged so that those kids that we maybe want to reach the most will not shut down, but it is just something that I struggle a lot with and like to ramble about (as seen here). Of course, having open discussion does not mean that I will disregard my “gay agenda,” even if it does lead to thoughtful reflection on acceptance and tolerance.
2 comments:
I also appreciate having an entire day dedicated to this particular culture. I have particular difficulty allowing for resistance in discussions about GLBT issues as you do. I think you are absolutely right about the fact that this stems partly from the hot button status the issue has currently. I don't know how to deal with my personal feeligns on the issues either. I agree that if we are going to create safe space that has to mean safe for contrary ideas as well. We have to allow students to voice their ideas even if they are contrary to our own. However, where is that line? we got a brief glimpse of this idea in a previous article, but when do we step in to say that these ideas are inappropriate? Maybe it is one of those things that has to be read from the classroom, but I feel there has to be established boundaries too. is it more damaging to silence an oppressive voice or to risk silencing one looking for validation in a particular culture?
I absolutely agree with your first paragraph. I have heard before that this is the civil rights issue of our generation. And while I feel a responsibility to address this issue head on (and did in the secondary classroom as well), in many ways it is easier for me to do so as a middle aged married, hetero woman.
I guess one way of thinking about this is that if you are a respected, responsible, caring teacher, and you are able to express your views (which are right, of course! :) ) on GLBT issues, maybe some of your students might be more open to change because of their relationship with you.
Post a Comment